Find job openings and jobs available now.

Q&A: Can foreign students in New York colleges take up part-time paid work?

by tom44 on March 9, 2013

200 Companies Hiring Home Workers Now – Click Here
No Experience Necessary

Question by 21grams: Can foreign students in New York colleges take up part-time paid work?
I’m planning to study in New York and take up a part-time job at the same time. Is it legal and is it easy to find a job that pays at least $ 7/hour?
thanks for all your informative answers. but does that mean within the first year i won’t be able to apply for any jobs at all? i really need a job because i only have enough savings for school fees & accommodation. what if i opt for a working visa and study part time instead? is that a more viable option?

Best answer:

Answer by jplrvflyer
You would need a visa that allowed you to work. Student visas may allow you to work for your university, but probably not anywhere else.

Give your answer to this question below!
Take back your privacy!

Are you currently Unemployed?
Learn insider tips to landing a Federal Job

How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job

Learn 4 Tips To Find Entry Level Jobs – Click Here

Share Button

3 thoughts on “Q&A: Can foreign students in New York colleges take up part-time paid work?

  1. Debby W says:

    As long as your in the country legally, you can work in the country legally.

  2. Aileen says:

    Only if your working at the University–see your student counselor for help, it’s tad more complicated than that, but it can be done.

  3. CPG says:

    I have never seen so many wrong and misinformed answers for one question before.

    Students on an F-1 visa are eligible to work on campus without authorization from USCIS only if they will not be displacing a U.S. citizen seeking employment. You are able to work 20 hours a week during the school year and 33 hours during vacation periods.

    For information about available on-campus jobs you should visit your University’s website, employment office or speak to the international student adviser.

    Off-Campus work.
    For the most part, students on F-1 visas are not eligible to work off campus. On rare occasions exceptions to this rule are made if the student can show evidence that unforeseen circumstances have created an economic hardship which require him or her to work and there are no on-campus employment opportunities.

    To be eligible for this type of off campus employment you must have been a full-time student for at least one year.If this is the case, you must file for employment authorization. The OIP will provide you with the required forms and will submit the paperwork to USCIS on your behalf.

    NOTE – One of the requirements to obtain an F-1 visa is that you must furnish evidence of sufficient funds to cover ALL expenses including tuition, accommodation, books, living expenses, medical insurance etc while in the United States, without the need to take up employment to support or provide additional funds to support/help cover these costs.

    Finally, there is no option to “opt for a working visa and study part time”.

    Another requirement of an F-1 visa in that you must enroll and stay in full-time education, failure to do will result in loss of status and deportation.

    Besides, you wouldn’t qualify for a H-classification visa anyway.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Popups Powered By :
SEO Powered by Platinum SEO from Techblissonline