Find job openings and jobs available now.

How can I immigrate to America from the UK?

by tom44 on April 13, 2013

200 Companies Hiring Home Workers Now – Click Here
No Experience Necessary

Question by Stone: How can I immigrate to America from the UK?
I’m currently a Story Editor, meaning I edit and redraft movie scripts.

I want to immigrate to New York or Los Angeles and stay their permenantly having a family and living their for the rest of my life.

How is this possible? What visa should I chose?
I do have a degree but I don’t have any family in the states.

Any information is appreciated.


Best answer:

Answer by Happy Ours
Well, just got to Mexico, swim across the Rio Grande River and then apply for citizenship (if Obama gets his way)

Otherwise, call the American Embassy in your country.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
Take back your privacy!

Are you currently Unemployed?
Learn insider tips to landing a Federal Job

How to Land a Top-Paying Federal Job

Learn 4 Tips To Find Entry Level Jobs – Click Here

Share Button

5 thoughts on “How can I immigrate to America from the UK?

  1. David says:

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you – but even the employer has to make a good case for you – so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $ 150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $ 350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an “investor” i.e. you have at least US $ 1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.
    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..
    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $ 5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©

  2. KMD says:

    1. fall in love with an american. 1. try a highly skilled migrant visa, see if you qualify.

  3. Cali says:

    Runaway production has all but destroyed the US film and TV biz. Suicide amongst below the line people (like you) is at an all time high as careers are lost, homes are foreclosed, marriages fail. It’s a blood bath in the US movie industry right now and there are thousands of unemployed Americans with the exact same job skills you’d be bringing to the market. Further more, all those people are already in the union you would have to try to join and those guilds are not easy to get into. Your best bet for living in the States is to get a nursing or teaching certificate. The last thing we need is more unemployed script editors, coordinators and supervisors.

  4. Sarah says:

    You can’t there is no visa to apply. There are a lot of people with your skills so even a studio would have a hard time getting you a visa

  5. Pleasure says:

    if things are good where you are i wouldn’t advise you to come here (things aren’t what you think). people are constantly loosing jobs (even with degrees) especially here in los angeles.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Popups Powered By :
SEO Powered by Platinum SEO from Techblissonline